As we embark on another new year, it’s that time when we start to think about changes we can make to better ourselves. Why not take this opportunity to address something that could help improve your overall health and well-being? If you haven’t selected a New Year’s resolution, look at some of these suggestions from your local pharmacy in Powell, TN.
1 - Shed a Little Weight
One of the most common New Year’s resolutions people make is to lose some weight, especially after the excess of the holiday season. The key is making sure that you do it healthily and sustainably so that you don’t pile it back on later. Shedding a little bit of weight is not just about aesthetics! It is also great for your overall health and well-being. If you can drop between 5% and 10% of your body weight, it can help to reduce your risk of several chronic health conditions, including heart disease, high blood pressure, and type 2 diabetes. Taking a safe and steady approach to losing weight is important rather than opting for a fad diet. Choose a healthy diet and start exercising regularly; you will soon see results. Talk to your local pharmacy in Powell, TN, for advice on safe and effective weight loss.
2 - Eat Healthier
Even if you do not want to lose weight, adjusting your diet to include healthier options is good for your body. Make sure you choose foods that are rich in fiber, vitamins, and minerals, such as fruits, vegetables, and lean proteins. Foods that are higher in fiber help to keep you feeling full, which means you will be less tempted to snack between meals!
3 - Get More Exercise
Another great resolution that will improve your overall health is to start exercising regularly. If you don’t currently do much physical activity, no one expects you to start hitting the gym every morning! In fact, it is much better to start off slow and work your way up instead. There are small steps you can take to start incorporating more exercise into your daily life. Here are a few suggestions that could work for you:
- Take the stairs instead of the elevator on your way to work
- Park at the far end of the parking lot when you go shopping
- March on the spot during commercials when you are watching TV
- Take a short walk during your lunch break
Even a small amount of exercise every day can have an impact and help you feel fitter and stronger as time passes.
4 - Get Better Quality Sleep
Getting enough good quality sleep can actually boost your immune system and promote emotional health. This is because sleep allows your mind and body to rest and reset. If you could improve your sleep patterns as your New Year resolution, you would soon begin to see the benefits. Try creating a comfortable sleep environment that is the right temperature and level of darkness for your preferences. Try to limit your screen time before bed, as this can stimulate your brain, making it more difficult to fall asleep. If you find it difficult either to fall asleep or stay asleep, it might be worth trying an over-the-counter sleep aid. Talk to your local pharmacy in Powell, TN, for advice about which brand is right for you.
5 - Stop Smoking
If you are a smoker, one of the best New Year’s resolutions that you can make is giving up smoking. Smoking causes damage to more or less every major organ in your body, and it is the number one cause of preventable death in the United States today. Quitting isn’t easy; after all, it is an addiction, and just like any other addiction, your success may depend on the level of support you have. Visit your local pharmacy in Powell, TN, for advice on smoking cessation products and programs that are available to you. Together, we can come up with an effective plan of action that will help you to kick your nicotine habit once and for all.
Making Sure You Stick to Your Resolutions
One of the biggest problems with New Year’s resolutions is striking to them! It is estimated that only 9% of Americans stick to their resolutions all year, and 43% quit before the end of January. If you want to succeed, you need to put systems in place to keep you on track. Here are a few tips to help you stick to your healthy New Year’s resolutions.
- Be Specific in Your Goals - One of the biggest stumbling blocks is not being specific enough with your goals. Don’t say, ‘I want to lose weight’. Set a specific goal like ‘I want to lose 15lbs by the end of the year’. It is much easier to stay the course if you know where the destination is!
- Be Realistic with Yourself - If you set an unrealistic target for yourself, you will become demotivated and end up quitting. If you haven’t exercised in years, it’s unrealistic to promise you will run 5 miles daily! Know your limits and set your goals accordingly. You can always increase them later if you need or want to.
- Track Your Progress - Your resolutions won’t stick if you feel like you are not making progress. If it’s a fitness-related goal, use a step tracker to track your progress. If you are going to quit smoking, why not track how much money you have saved?
- Celebrate Milestones - Another way to keep yourself motivated is to break up your goals into smaller milestones that you can celebrate along the way! This can be excellent motivation to keep going!
If you are working on a health-related resolution this year, Vaughn Pharmacy is in your corner to support your efforts. Stop by your local pharmacy in Powell, TN, and ask for advice on any health matters.
Your Hometown Pharmacy Since 1966
Vaughn Pharmacy is a local, family-owned pharmacy serving the community in Powell, TN. Specializing in providing personalized and attentive prescription programs to our patients, we believe you are more than just a number – you’re part of our family!