When it comes to making New Year’s resolutions, quitting smoking is consistently among the top 5. It is well publicized why smoking is so harmful to your health and well-being, so it is no surprise that so many people want to try giving up the habit. However, it is, unfortunately, one of the most challenging New Year’s resolutions to keep. More than half of those who pledge to stop smoking on January 1st will be back smoking by the end of the month. Only around 13% will remain smoke-free by the end of the year. The biggest reason for failure, aside from the addictive nature of the habit, is failing to come up with a realistic plan of action. The good news is you can seek support from your local pharmacy in Powell, TN, to support your efforts to quit smoking once and for all!
Common Withdrawl Symptoms
One of the things that makes giving up cigarettes so tricky is that when you stop smoking, you have to deal with many potentially uncomfortable withdrawal symptoms while your body and your brain get used to not having any nicotine in your system. These withdrawal symptoms will fade over time, but you may need some help to ride them out. Here are a few of the most common withdrawal symptoms and how your local pharmacy in Powell, TN, can help to alleviate them.
- Having Difficulty Sleeping - If you are having trouble sleeping, it is essential to address it. If you become exhausted by a lack of quality sleep, your willpower is sure to dwindle, and you might reach for cigarettes again! Reduce your caffeine intake and think about ways to give yourself a more comfortable sleep environment. That could mean adjusting the temperature or removing electronics from the room. You can also visit your local pharmacy in Powell, TN, to ask about over-the-counter sleep aids that might help.
- Feeling Irritable or Upset - This is a widespread side effect of nicotine withdrawal. Knowing that it is a normal part of the process can help you feel better about these moods. Do your best to keep reminding yourself that this is caused by your body getting used to having no nicotine. It is not because you are a mean person!
- Difficulty Concentrating on Tasks - As you withdraw from nicotine, you may start to find your concentration wanes. This is entirely normal and nothing to be concerned about. Give yourself a little grace, and don’t plan on doing anything that requires intense concentration in the first week or so of quitting!
- >Hunger & Weight Gain - There are several reasons why you may eat more when you quit smoking. One of them is stress causing you to comfort eat. Another is that snacking gives you something to occupy your hands and mouth. For others, it is because their sense of smell and taste are no longer being dulled by smoking so food is more enjoyable now! Whatever your reason for overindulging, it is something you need to keep an eye on. You don’t want to swap one health concern for another by piling on extra weight.
- Depression & Anxiety - Smokers are more likely to suffer from anxiety and depression than non-smokers. Because of this, it is common to feel significant mood changes when quitting. Talk to your local pharmacy in Powell, TN, about things you can do to relieve anxiety, including using pharmaceutical CBD oil to calm your anxiety.
Benefits of Quitting Smoking
Most of us in this day and age understand that smoking is not good for our bodies. However, it is always good to remind ourselves why sticking to that New Year’s Resolution to quit will be worth it, even if it is hard work! Here are just a few of the benefits you can expect.
- Improves Overall Health & Increases Life Expectancy
- Lowers Your Risk of 12 Types of Cancer
- Reduces The Risk of Cardiovascular Disease
- Lowers The Risk of Chronic Pulmonary Obstructive Disease (COPD)
- Can Improve Reproductive Health
- Reduces Financial Burden Caused By The Cost of Tobacco Products
Get Help From Your Local Pharmacy in Powell, TN
If you are struggling to stop smoking or are planning to quit, your local pharmacy in Powell, TN, can offer a wealth of information and support. Going cold turkey is not a practical option for most smokers, so ask one of our pharmacists for advice about smoking cessation products, including nicotine gum and patches. They can also point you in the right direction if you are looking for support groups or counseling in the local area to stop you from reaching for a cigarette packet. Let’s work together to be smoke-free in 2023.
Your Hometown Pharmacy Since 1966
Vaughn Pharmacy is a local, family-owned pharmacy serving the community in Powell, TN. Specializing in providing personalized and attentive prescription programs to our patients, we believe you are more than just a number – you’re part of our family!