As the weather turns colder, it is customary to see an upswing in the number of illnesses affecting your family. Colds and flu are prevalent, and there is also the risk of other conditions, such as pneumonia and strep. Ice and snow can also add to health concerns in the form of increased slips and falls! With that in mind, here are a few tips from your local pharmacy in Powell, TN, to help you and your family stay safe and healthy this winter!
Prepare Your Home for Winter
When thinking about how to protect your well being this winter, DIY may be something other than what you expect to find on a list of ways to stay healthy! However, taking a few steps to keep your home safe and warm can significantly protect your health in the colder months. The CDC offers some helpful tips on how to winterize your home. Some of the recommendations include the following:
- Insulating water lines
- Installing weather stripping or storm windows
- Clean gutters and repair roof leaks
- Service your heating system
- Install smoke alarms and carbon monoxide detectors
Prepare to Travel
If you are traveling out of town or even out of state to visit family during Christmas or New Year, there are also some tips you can follow to ensure you stay safe and healthy during your trip.
- Stop by your local pharmacy in Powell to stock up on supplies for a travel first aid kit to slip into your car or bag in case of an emergency on the trip.
- Stock up on cold and flu supplies so you have everything on hand if you start to feel under the weather.
- Get your flu shot to protect yourself and your family against the flu this winter. You can get your shot at Vaughn Pharmacy without an appointment.
- Make sure you have enough of your prescription medication to see you through the holiday season, especially if you will be going out of town. The easiest way to manage your medication is with the VIP Box from your local pharmacy in Powell.
General Health Tips
In addition to taking these extra precautions, there are also some essential tips you can follow for your overall health and well being.
- Stay hydrated. Water plays a massive role in keeping you healthy, so make sure you drink plenty daily.
- Stress can weaken your immune system, making it more likely that you will catch colds or flu. Try to minimize stressful situations, even though it isn’t always easy at big family functions!
- It is easy to overindulge when it's cold outside, especially during the holiday season. Try to include lots of fresh fruit and vegetables to counteract the decadent dishes full of fat and sugar.
- The most significant way to spread germs and bacteria is on our hands. Ensure you wash them frequently, especially after sneezing or touching your mouth. Keeping hand sanitizer in your pocket is wise if you can’t get to soap and water immediately.
- Regular exercise is another way to keep yourself healthy. Even in the winter months, we need to make an effort to keep moving. Just a 15-minute walk daily is enough to keep your heart pumping and your muscles moving.
Get Up to Date on Your Vaccinations
We have already mentioned getting your flu shot, but let’s talk a little more about ensuring your vaccines are up to date. We can expect flu season to peak in January, so if you have not already gotten that flu shot, now is the perfect time to do something about it. COVID-19 infection rates are also set to spike this winter, so if you have not already had a COVID vaccine, now is the time to get one. The CDC also recommends the pneumonia vaccine and shingles vaccine for adults over the age of 65 and anyone who has a chronic illness or compromised immune system. Some vaccines can be administered at your local pharmacy in Powell, saving you a trip to the doctor’s office.
Get Plenty of Sleep
Never underestimate the benefit of getting a good night’s sleep. Our bodies regenerate while we sleep, so getting enough sleep each night is essential. Sleep helps to keep your immune system in good working order, reduces cortisol (the stress hormone), and even burns calories! Even if you are busy over the holiday season, ensure you are getting to bed at a decent time; you will have more energy the following day to tackle that to-do list.
Your Hometown Pharmacy Since 1966
Vaughn Pharmacy is a local, family-owned pharmacy serving the community in Powell, TN. Specializing in providing personalized and attentive prescription programs to our patients, we believe you are more than just a number – you’re part of our family!