Thanks to recent celebrities and media coverage, the negative stigmas surrounding mental health are slowly diminishing. We still have a long way to go, though. May is Mental Health Awareness Month and as we leave the month towards the longest days of the year, we shouldn’t lose sight of the need to address mental health problems. Your local pharmacy in Knoxville TN, Vaughn Pharmacy, knows it’s critical to break the stigma surrounding mental health issues.
Shattering The Stereotypes
As we continue to learn about the ever-growing list of mental health problems, we’re learning that this is not an isolated thing and more and more people are left grappling with different issues. Mental health conflicts are so rampant that, one in four people will face a mental or neurological health condition sometime within their lifetime. It’s a staggering statistic if you look at it. Next time you’re in a room full of people, count out every fourth person and you’ll see how widespread this issue really is.
Though we’ve made progress on stereotyping, it’s not gone. Certain parts of the media continue to fuel unfair representations of mental health issues. Pairing poor media coverage, with a generally misinformed population, results in shame, fear, and isolation of those who most need the help.
Breaking the misconceptions about mental health can be hard. But, the reality is that these conditions stem deep. They’re complex problems that don’t neatly fit into a defined box. Your local pharmacy in Knoxville TN, Vaughn Pharmacy, wants you to think about these common problems, and take a moment to realize it’s not so simple –
- Depression doesn’t just equate to the fact that someone is sad. If your sister lost her most treasured ring from your mother, she might be pretty down and out for a few days. But, that doesn’t necessarily mean she’s depressed. Depression runs much deeper than a fleeting disappointment.
- Anxiety comes in many forms. When someone is a little anxious about their test results from the doctor’s appointment last week, it’s normal and doesn’t require treatment. But when it consumes a person to a disabling point and they can’t correctly function, it becomes a complicated concern that doctors may need to address.
- OCD is easy to joke about. After all, tendencies probably run through most of us. Being meticulous about writing out a to-do list and keeping it organized is much different than struggling in the home unable to leave because your brain won’t stop obsessing about an all-consuming thought.
If you want to help stop spreading the stigma of mental health issues, take a moment and step back to think about a given situation with someone struggling. Your local pharmacy in Knoxville TN, Vaughn Pharmacy, hopes everyone will do their part to spread awareness for mental health problems.
How it Affects Others
Suffering from things like depression and anxiety may feel isolating to the one plagued by a dark cloud over them. But the impact reaches much further than just the person struggling. Your local pharmacy in Knoxville TN, Vaughn Pharmacy, wants you to know… If you look at just depression and anxiety alone, you’ll find a list of emotional impacts that loved ones also suffer –
- Negativity. An individual grappling with depression often isolates and can look at social situations in a negative light. With this type of attitude, it infects loved ones and creates a vicious cycle of negative emotions and further isolation.
- Feelings of Hostility. When a person loses themselves to anxiety or depression, others sense and feel it. It can result in frustration and anger with family and friends.
- Disrupted Relationships. When someone suffering retreats into their own world, there’s no way outside relationships remain unscathed. The person dealing with depression and anxiety lose their ability to engage in good-natured and light interactions and ultimately can push loved ones away. Your local pharmacy in Knoxville TN, Vaughn Pharmacy, wants everyone to be on the lookout to keep their relationships on a positive track.
- Your local pharmacy in TN, Vaughn Pharmacy, carries high-quality options with high standards.
- Stress and physical problems. Family and friends working to help with depression or anxiety often experience stress. Working to help someone else weighs down the shoulders of those trying to assist. This can actually lead to physical ailments such as body aches, headaches, muscle tension, and acid reflux.
If you do the math, being that one in four people suffer from a mental health issue, it’s likely that if you’re not the one suffering, you still may be impacted.
How You Can Get Help
If you or someone you love is experiencing problems beyond control, Your local pharmacy in Knoxville TN, Vaughn Pharmacy, wants you to know there are always available resources for help. Some steps you can take if you need assistance –
- Talk to your PCP. Ask them for a mental health provider and they’ll connect you.
- If you’re in a critical state, call 911!
- If suicide is a consideration, call the National Suicide Prevention Hotline at 1 800-273-8255.
Your local pharmacy in Knoxville TN, Vaughn Pharmacy, wants to wrap up Mental Health Awareness Month by equipping you with some helpful insights and information to help break the stigma surrounding mental health. There is help and there are resources available. No one needs to suffer alone and awareness serves as a soldier in this battle. Keep a watch on yourself and loved ones so no one is needlessly suffering from a mental health crisis.
Your Hometown Pharmacy Since 1966
Vaughn Pharmacy is a local, family-owned pharmacy serving the community in Powell, TN. Specializing in providing personalized and attentive prescription programs to our patients, we believe you are more than just a number – you’re part of our family!